[Serusers] Strange SER hanging problem

Jason justiceguy at pobox.com
Tue Dec 28 17:30:22 CET 2004

Jiri,

I can't get the log output to work properly.  I would give it to
you if I saw anything.  Do you see what is missing from below?
When I use the same directives in ser.cfg on another SuSE 9.2 box,
I get debug output - I know what it's supposed to look like.  On
this one, it just hangs apparently with no output to STDOUT.

I'm willing to hear any suggestions.  Strace?  Any help very
appreciated.

Jason

On Mon Dec 27 23:46:01 PST 2004, Jiri Kuthan <jiri at iptel.org>
wrote:

> Sure it still hangs but the log output lets us guess what it is.
> I have no opinion on what it may be until I see it.
>
> -jiri
>
> At 07:56 PM 12/27/2004, Jason wrote:
>> Jiri,
>> Thanks for the advice.  However, I've already tried this - I
>> meant to have already told you this.  I've toggled between debug
>> 7 and debug 3, as well as fork yes and no, and log_stderror yes
>> and no.  I've also put random comments in the file to see if ser
>> complains. Doesn't make a difference at all.  Still hangs.  Your
>> help is much appreciated.  What do you think I should try next
>> in order to identify where the problem is?  Here is a clip from
>> the top of ser.cfg, from what I last tried.
>>
>> <SNIP>
>> # ----------- global configuration parameters
>> ------------------------
>>
>> blah blah Please parse this file
>> #debug=3         # debug level (cmd line: -dddddddddd)
>> #fork=yes
>> #log_stderror=no        # (cmd line: -E)
>>
>> debug=7
>> #debug=3
>> fork=no
>> log_stderror=no
>>
>> blah
>> </SNIP>
>>

>> Try increasing log level and sending us the log output -- we may
>> then
>> perhaps see where it is hanging. If that does not get us any
>> further,
>> phase II will be strace I guess.
>>
>> -jiri
>>
>> At 06:21 AM 12/27/2004, Jason Ostrom wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>> I have not been able to get my SER to work properly on this
>>> SuSE Linux
>>> Pro 9.2 machine.  SER appears to hang endlessly.  The binary
>>> compiled
>>> from src just fine.  I can't tell exactly where the problem is,