[Serusers] RE: From field comparisons

Wearne, David W. DWWearne at west.com
Thu Dec 16 16:11:53 CET 2004

I have SER version 0.8.14 running as a proxy, registrar, and location
server.  It works great, but I have encountered one problem.  When I
call from my PingTel SIP phone to an IP enabled IVR, and the IVR
responds with "404 Not found", SER sends an ACK to the IVR and forwards
the 404 to the PingTel phone.  All that is fine, but when the PingTel
phone sends back its ACK, SER does not find the transaction to associate
it with.  It forwards the ACK to the IVR, then a timer fires and the 404
is resent to the PingTel because SER does not think it has gotten the
ACK.  I have determined that the problem is in modules/tm/t_lookup.c,
around line 450, where it says "if (! EQ_LEN(from)) continue;"

The original INVITE contained a From value of
"sip:7216 at wic.west.com;tag=1c8140"
While the ACK contains a From value of
"<sip:7216 at wic.west.com>;tag=1c8140"

According to RFC3261, Section 20.20, these should be considered
identical, but SER does not see it that way because the angle brackets
make the length different (the SIP stack on the IVR adds them in its
is returned, if I get a "200 Ok", everything works fine.

I've tried attaching a log of the SIP messages recorded by the PingTel
phone, and the log from SER, but the list seems to have a problem with
attachments.

Dave Wearne