[Serusers] VoIP traffic

Jesus Rodriguez jesusr at voztele.com
Fri Aug 27 12:05:59 CEST 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Javier Ramirez wrote:

Hello,

> 	Hi, I don't know if this is the correct mailing list for this question but I
> want to know that if I have 2 IP telephones connected to the same LAN and
> using an external SIP gatekeeper to make external calls, If I do an internal
> call. Do I use internet bandwidth during the whole call duartion or just in
> the registar time?

If both phones and SIP proxy have public ip addresses you will only  send
signaling traffic to the proxy.

If some of the elements is behind nat, all traffic (both signaling and
media) will be sent to the proxy. Note that you will need some kind of RTP
proxy if you want that natted device is able to receive calls.

Saludos
JesusR.

Jesus Rodriguez
VozTelecom Sistemas, S.L.