[Serusers] NAT ping and consumer router

Andres andres at telesip.net
Thu Aug 26 01:04:36 CEST 2004

>>Anyway, if you can program your ALG and fix any problem one might have, why
>>isn't it a better choice?

This depends on wether you have control or not.  As a service provider
we have to deal with hundreds of different NATs/Routers all over the
world.  We do not have the luxury of demanding users to buy a certain
NAT device (and some NATs are even embedded in the modem provided by
their ISPs).  On the other hand we do suggest our users get one of our
"supported" UAs which have been heavily tested by us.  That being said,
our number #1 issue right now are broken SIP Aware NATs all over the
world.  We are constatly having to move these users to other ports
besides 5060.  I wish NAT vendors would give up on this idea.  We prefer
to solve this by a combination of STUN/RTPProxy which has worked
flawlessly for us.

>Secondly, I don't share your optimism on that ALG
>
>vendors will get
>the application logic right.

I agree...please stop this futile attempt! (I can understand a handful
of vendors are smart enough to get this right, but for sure it is
impossible for most to do it)

--
Andres
Network Admin