[Serusers] NAT ping and consumer router

Jesus Rodriguez jesusr at voztele.com
Wed Aug 25 16:13:56 CEST 2004

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Jiri Kuthan wrote:

> >Perhaps instead of a UDP packet with no content, a SIP OPTIONS request could be sent by SER.  This could perhaps be an selective flag associated with the NAT support in SER, so that either the dummy packet or the OPTIONS packet could be transmitted by the module.
> >
> >There are other solutions here, like reducing the interval of REGISTER requests to serve the same purpose of refreshing NAT table mappings.  However, one could argue that this method has a much higher load than an OPTIONS packet, especially when scaling across thousands or tens of thousands of clients in an environment where external databases (i.e. Radius, SQL, etc) are used for authentication lookups.
>
> I would like that better. We could perhaps mitigate the performance penalty by granting
> re-REGISTERs which don't change too much -- that could be possible done as authentication-less
> in-memory lookup.

That's like known SBCs work. Before, they sent an OPTIONS packet but last
software versions modify the Expire of the 200 OK from REGISTER so is the
UA the one that sends a new REGISTER and generates traffic from the
internal side every 30 seconds. These REGISTER are not forwarded to the
proxy. The SBC keeps a table where saves the "real" REGISTER expire sent to
the proxy. This way you don't flood the proxy with all those REGISTER.

Saludos
JesusR.

Jesus Rodriguez
VozTelecom Sistemas, S.L.