[Serusers] NAT ping and consumer router

Richard richard at o-matrix.org
Tue Aug 24 19:02:11 CEST 2004

Hi Jiri,

As I mentioned before, I was not a big fan of ALG before. I tried ALG on
some devices, too many problems. However I was pleasantly surprised that
linksys has a good implementation, i.e. all the problems I had with other
implementation doesn't have it here.

Just like Nathelper and mediaproxy are temporary fix which introduce extra
media hop, nothing is perfect. Also I experience too many problems of using
cpl with nathelper, trying to figure out how to not mess up with SDP if two
phones behind the same NAT. Being able to access and play with the source
code of linksys is certainly a big plug considering that we don't have
access to source code of any hard phone.

In lieu of a perfect UA, I think this is least evil solution, if you think
this way...

Richard