[Serusers] NAT ping and consumer router

Richard richard at o-matrix.org
Tue Aug 24 10:37:31 CEST 2004

Hi all,

It was a good discussion. Although I didn't find out any consumer
router/firewall working with NAT ping, I had some surprisingly good finding.

Before this whole nat ping and binding refreshing issue, I always think a
better solution is SIP aware NAT, i.e. ALG. I didn't find any good device
because most ALG router/firewalls were used to be high-end and relatively
expensive. Also many ALG implementation, e.g. fixup protocol in cisco PIX
have some serious flaws to be usable.

Fortunately I found one very good implementation of SIP ALG. It is linksys
wireless router WRT54G with the latest firmware. This sub-$100 router
changes the private IP address embedded in the SIP message, e.g. via and SDP
addresses. The sip NAT binding has a 3600 seconds expiration timer. So as
long as the phone register once an hour, it should be fine. The best part of
this solution is that linksys provides source code which is based on linux
2.4 kernel. If there is ever a need to add a feature, we can produce our own
firmware image.

To complete the story, this is not a panacea. It won't solve all problems.
For example, it is still lacking deterministic port mapping. For example, if
the router has a reboot, all the NAT bindings are lost. The new binding will
mess up with existing ones saved in ser. Anyway, in the short term, this is
probably the best we can find out.

Ironically a division of cisco can produce something much better than its
flagship firewall products.

Thanks,
Richard