[Serusers] NAT ping and consumer router

Richard richard at o-matrix.org
Mon Aug 23 08:52:00 CEST 2004

Hi Juha,

A quick check on ebay and google shows that the price is US$400-500 for a
cisco 831 router. I understand that pix is an overkill and its fixup-sip is
almost unusable due to several serious design flaws. But the capability of
inbound traffic refreshing timer and adjustable udp traffic timeout value
makes it a feasible option.

I am more looking at sub-$100 price range consumer router. With NAT ping,
the only requirement is the support of inbound traffic refreshing the NAT
binding timer and ideally a large timeout value.

If I go to the $200 range solution, there are a few options, e.g. a linksys
RV042 router with open source code provided by linksys, or a Soekris box
with open source m0n0wall firewall. The pro is the ability to adjust the
timeout value for SIP (port 5060) traffic. The con is the time and effort of
developing this solution and relative high cost compared with out of box
solutions.

Thanks,
Richard