[Serusers] NAT ping and consumer router

Richard richard at o-matrix.org
Sun Aug 22 20:28:34 CEST 2004

Hi,

Does anyone know and use a consumer router which works with NAT ping?

I did some research recently and can't find any. Basically if a phone is
behind NAT, we need to keep the NAT binding in the router active even if
there is no activity from the phone. NAT ping from ser (either rtpproxy or
mediaproxy) tries to ping the phone with an empty SIP packet. However this
inbound UDP packet can't always keep the NAT binding active because some NAT
firewalls ONLY refresh the timer based on outbound packets. So the result is
that the binding expires after a certain time even if NAT ping is enabled.

For example, Dlink falls in this category. It appears the timeout is 3
minutes and NAT ping won't make it active.

If anyone has a good experience with any consumer router, can you please let
share with us?

Thanks,
Richard

P.S. There is a good rfc draft discussing NAT binding behavior, if someone
is interested.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-audet-nat-behave-00.txt.