[Serusers] invite timer & calls to PSTN

Steve Blair blairs at isc.upenn.edu
Sun Aug 22 13:08:52 CEST 2004

O'Shaughnessy Evans wrote:

>[...]
>

>>>Yeah, the failure_route for voicemail would be turning that off.
>>>

>>I'm confused too ;) -- do you wish the calls to ring indefinitely
>>or do you wish a timeout to strike and fall back to voicemail?
>>Note you may have different routes processed statefuly but with or
>>without failure_route and consequently with or without "silent
>>timer".
>>

>Oops.  I mistated -- there's no failure_route defined when routing to
>the PSTN.  The fr_inv_timer is still triggering a failure, though.
>
>I wish calls to remote endpoints over which I have no control (in this
>case, PSTN destinations) to ring as long as the remote system determines.
>Only local calls should fall back to voicemail.
>
>Here's the nitty gritty of the problem.  I have fr_inv_timer set to some
>normal value, like 30-45 seconds, so that if a local user doesn't pick up
>his phone within, say, 6 rings or so, the call will fail over to his
>voicemail box.  t_on_failure is only set in this route.  That works great.
>
>In a different route, I send calls to the PSTN.  If the caller isn't
>coming from a NAT device, I can use forward().  No need to do a stateful
>relay because I'm not doing any accounting.  I just want to hand off the
>call and forget about it.  But if the caller *is* coming via NAT, I need
>to force_rtp_proxy, which thus means t_relay instead, right?  And since
>I'm using the tm module, the fr_inv_timer triggers after 45 seconds and
>I get a busy signal (since there's no failure_route defined).
>

>Is there a way to avoid that bogus fr_inv_timer failure?  I don't know
>enough about call routing to say, but from this perspective it seems to
>me that if there's no failure_route defined, the fr_inv_timer should
>never go off.

  We have several instances of SER running for just this purpose. One
instance with a
specific value for fr_inv_timer for inbound calls that need to goto SEMS
after 4 rings.
A different instance for outbound calls where fr_inv_timer is set to 45
seconds to handle
the range of called devices and their resective "answer" times. This
works pretty well.