[Serusers] invite timer & calls to PSTN

O'Shaughnessy Evans shaug+sip at aloha.net
Sat Aug 21 23:49:51 CEST 2004

Jiri Kuthan <jiri at iptel.org> wrote:
>>> Other option is to enable silent timer -- i.e., SER not sending
>>> 408 and CANCEL, just trashing the transaction from memory.
>>> This option is actually turned on by default, but is disabled
>>> in run-time if some of many conditions occured:
[...]
>> Yeah, the failure_route for voicemail would be turning that off.
>
> I'm confused too ;) -- do you wish the calls to ring indefinitely
> or do you wish a timeout to strike and fall back to voicemail?
> Note you may have different routes processed statefuly but with or
> without failure_route and consequently with or without "silent
> timer".

Oops.  I mistated -- there's no failure_route defined when routing to
the PSTN.  The fr_inv_timer is still triggering a failure, though.

I wish calls to remote endpoints over which I have no control (in this
case, PSTN destinations) to ring as long as the remote system determines.
Only local calls should fall back to voicemail.

Here's the nitty gritty of the problem.  I have fr_inv_timer set to some
normal value, like 30-45 seconds, so that if a local user doesn't pick up
his phone within, say, 6 rings or so, the call will fail over to his
voicemail box.  t_on_failure is only set in this route.  That works great.

In a different route, I send calls to the PSTN.  If the caller isn't
coming from a NAT device, I can use forward().  No need to do a stateful
relay because I'm not doing any accounting.  I just want to hand off the
call and forget about it.  But if the caller *is* coming via NAT, I need
to force_rtp_proxy, which thus means t_relay instead, right?  And since
I'm using the tm module, the fr_inv_timer triggers after 45 seconds and
I get a busy signal (since there's no failure_route defined).

Is there a way to avoid that bogus fr_inv_timer failure?  I don't know
enough about call routing to say, but from this perspective it seems to
me that if there's no failure_route defined, the fr_inv_timer should
never go off.

Anyway, thanks again for your help, everyone.

--
= o'shaughnessy evans =           = sys admin @ (aloha|kona|myworld).net =
 "There is an old saying that if a million monkeys typed on a million