[Serusers] Listening on multiple ports

Linus Surguy linus at magrathea-telecom.co.uk
Mon Aug 16 09:46:48 CEST 2004

I've configured ser to listen on two ports, in the ser.cfg:

listen=a.b.c.d:5060
listen=a.b.c.d:5062

The idea is that 'normal' public traffic and traffic that can be handled by
normal 'nat' detectors will be directed to port 5060, but traffic that I
know is difficult is directed to register and use a.b.c.d:5062 as the SIP
server.

This all works great in the NAT (inside) -> SER -> somewhere direction, but
I've discovered that when any device which registers to the 5062 port, the
fact that it arrived on an alternative port doesnt seem to be remembered.

Therefore, when I have a somewhere -> SER -> NAT (inside) call, (on a 5062
registered device) although SER remembers the port on the NAT device to
forward the INVITE to, it sends it from port 5060 - which at least on my
test nat router is enough for it to reject the packet and not pass it
inside.

Any thoughts? Is this a configuration item I've missed, or is this a current
issue with SER?

Linus

(* The other reason for using port 5062 is that it 'SIP aware' but possibily
broken NAT routers won't rewrite the traffic if its not on port 5060)