[Serusers] Why Transactional Accounting?

Arne Scheffer arne.scheffer at ritstele.com
Thu Aug 12 09:52:36 CEST 2004

Mike,

In a high load situation I would not use a trigger. From experience you can encounter big billing delays when you start using complex billing. Most DB's see the trigger as part of your insert action and will not reply to the application that performed the INSERT until the trigger has finished. This means your SER may have to wait for a few seconds to know if the insert was OK (serious performance impact).

Now may say a few seconds why ?
just take into account you have a number port database with 2M records which you need to scan to see if the number is ported. Can take a second very easily :(

I would advise using a JOB on your SQL server (supported by Oracle & MSSQL, Postgres does not support it I think) which runs every minute. You still have the load on the server but SER will not be delayed by TRIGGER.

Arne.