[Serusers] fr_inv_timers affect on inbound/outbound calling

Greg Fausak greg at addabrand.com
Tue Aug 10 15:22:26 CEST 2004

On Aug 10, 2004, at 8:03 AM, Steve Blair wrote:

> Greg:
>
>   Are there any issues with the SIP domain name? What about
> sharing the mysql database?
>
>   As I see it I plan on defining a new SRV record for our PSTN gateway.
> It will point to the current proxy but a different port. Listening on
> this
> port will be the "inbound" proxy.
>
>   IP phones will remain as they are, namely they will register to the
> same server via the SRV record that points to port 5060.
>   My concern is that I will now need to support two identical
> databases,
> two SRV records and two SER config files that are nearly identical.
>
>   Is this what you did or am I missing something?

Steve,

The database is an issue.  You can't have more
than one SER process access the database from
the same domain.  As a matter of clarification, we
don't use the mysql database (we use postgres) and
we have modified all of the tables to support
multi-domain access.  However, we still have
the 'in the same domain' access problem.
The problem is, of course, that the location table
is cached in ser proxy memory.

However, I don't see why you need multiple
SER processes accessing the same database.
If your central proxy server (the one with
database access) authenticates, but doesn't
set any timers, it can forward an
outbound call (for example) to another
SER proxy that *doesn't* have database access.
That proxy can impose timers.

We just played around with it until we got it to work.
I have inbound proxies, outbound proxies, enum proxies and
core proxies.  We also use jasomi for nat/edge
b2bua proxies. The core is the only
one with database access.

I heard that iptel was contemplating a cache-less
feature that would allow table multiple ser proxies
accessing the same database at the same time.
I have though about implementing it myself, but
I haven't had a compelling need yet.  If you must
have this feature I think it is fairly easy to implement.

---greg

Greg Fausak
www.AddaBrand.com
(US) 469-546-1265