[Serusers] SER and the SPA3000

Andres andres at telesip.net
Mon Aug 9 19:49:06 CEST 2004

We are planning to roll out services to our customers with the Sipura
3000 FXO gateway.  The idea is that customers will be able to have their
own personal PSTN gateway wherever they want.

In order to provide security, the SPA3000 allows you to configure digest
authentication.  The idea is that an incoming INVITE will get challenged
via a 401 response and then end device will generate that INVITE again
with the proper credentials.  The idea here would be to fill in the same
username/password details on the customer's FXO gateway as the ones we
have on SER (where his other UA registers and places calls).  Something
like:

UA1 ------>SER------>FXO1

We would expect that the UA1 sends the INVITE to SER, it gets challenges
and autheticated properly, then that INVITE is routed to the FXO1, which
challeneges it as well with a 401.  That 401 should be relayed back to
UA1 so that it can generate the proper credentials again (this time for
the FXO1).

Unfortunatelly the 401 that the FXO1 sends back gets ACKed by SER but
never relayed back to UA1.

Is this doable, or should we switch to another means of authenticating
that call on the FXO1?

Thanks,

--
Andres