[Serusers] how to use ser

Dave Bath dave at fuuz.com
Wed Aug 4 08:41:41 CEST 2004

Hey ML,

The role of Ser and * are very different. * has been built as a PBX
replacement first and foremost and so handles VOIP --> PSTN integration,
has a VM/conference/meetme etc server (although SEMS is becoming more
and more advanced all the time) and performs transcoding etc.  However,
it's SIP implementation is difficult to work with for a high volume of
users, it doesn't handle presence, doesn't support multiple logons by
the same client etc.  SER is a fantastically performing high volume SIP
proxy/redirect/registration agent etc with very flexible call processing
and route processing logic.  Many people on this list use Ser as the
point of contact for all SIP UA's, and then forward to  * or a
commercial product to do PSTN gateway relays.

Hope this helps

Dave