[Serusers] RADIUS between multiple domains + Fail Over Gateways

Thu Apr 29 18:30:12 CEST 2004

The proxy challenges the UA with a certain nonce. The UA has to create a
hash value consiting of the username, password, nonce (and some more).
Then the UA sends this hash to the proxy. The proxy (or the radius
server) also generates this hash and compares it with the one from the
UA. IF they are identical, authentication was sucessful.

The realm is used to identify the server who whishes authentication.

The problem arises as the nonce is random. So, an Authentication header
provided by the UA can only fits to the authentication of one of the
proxies as tehy will use different nonces.

klaus

PS: no responsibility is taken for 100% correctness of this information ;-)