[Serusers] DB Authentication Issues (The Pain Continues)

Chris Bookholt cgbookho at ncsu.edu
Wed Apr 14 22:27:39 CEST 2004

Jan Janak wrote:

>  Windows messenger does not like when the digest realm is different from
>  To/From domain, this does not seem to be the case here, but I would
>  recommend you to try some real domain -- with dot inside, for example
>  team3.com.

I created a domain in DNS called team3.  In that domain all my hosts are called "host.team3"

So now in my MSN configs, my SER server is referenced as popov.team3 and I login as admin at popov.team3.

Unfortunately, this produces the same result as before: the XP client gets in, but the 2K client never prompts for a password.  You think it's because my "TLD" has four chars instead of three?

>  If this does not help, then try to uninstall Windows Messenger and make
>  sure that you also uninstall all libraries (RTC ?) it is using, then
>  try to install exactly the same version as on WinXP (if possible).

I do suspect that not all bits of MSN are being uninstalled because when I reinstalled, it remembered the IP address of the SER server.  Any clue how to uninstall those libraries?

Also, it is not possible to install the exact same version on 2K and XP.  I tried earlier and it complained that the XP version is only for systems running XP.

-Chris