[Serusers] Outbound proxy

Jan Janak jan at iptel.org
Fri Oct 31 23:59:33 CET 2003

Hello,

On 31-10 15:21, Peter Hudec wrote:
> hello,
>
> this is maybe a bit silly question, but.
>
> Outbound proxy is needed, when UA is behind FW.

  Not behind FW but behind NAT, that's a little bit different. Basically
  you must make sure that the proxy to which you send the traffic knows
  how to get responses and further requests back to you through the NAT.

  Since you don't know that if all the proxies in the wild do support
  that, you have to choose one and use it as outbound proxy. The
  outbound proxy will do all the translations for you, even if other
  proxies do not support that (I assume that you can't modify your NAT
  and that it doesn't explicitely support SIP).

  Outbound proxy is nothing special, it is just a regular proxy which
  receives all your SIP traffic.

> What is the function of this proxy (how can this help the UA to make
> calls) and what kind of software can do this.

  SER can do this, for example. If you have phones behind NAT than you
  must also make sure that the proxy has some NAT traversal support.
  Give a try to our public proxy at iptel.org, it contains NAT traversal
  features so your phones behind NAT should be able to place and receive
  calls.

> Can SER be also outbound proxy, or I have to use something else ?

   Yes, see my previous insertion.

   Jan.