[Serusers] SER on Dual Honed Machine Bug ?

dhiraj.2.bhuyan at bt.com dhiraj.2.bhuyan at bt.com
Wed Oct 22 14:06:14 CEST 2003

Hello List,
I am running SER (0.8.11) on a machine that has two network interfaces. On one interface I have a 192.168.1.0/24 network (internal network) and the other one is the public interface. SER is working as a registrar and as a proxy. When a UA on the private network sends a SUBSCRIBE message to a UA on the outside via the SER proxy (listening on 192.168.1.1), the packet received by other UA has the 192.168.1.1 layer 3 address. So it means that SER is using the internal interface address as the layer 3 source address when sending packets through the external interface. Is this a known bug? (NAT on the machine is working fine. I am using redhat 9, kernel 2.4.21)

Is there any way to change/replace/manipulate the VIA header like you can do with the URI's? Sorry am very new to SER and am trying to read as much as I can.

Any feedback will be greately appreciated.

Thanks,

Dhiraj Bhuyan
Security Research Engineer
BT Exact