[Serusers] reuse of existing tcp connection

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul pelinescu-onciul at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Oct 20 11:21:39 CEST 2003

On Oct 20, 2003 at 12:54, Juha Heinanen <jh at tutpro.com> wrote:
> Hans Eriksson writes:
>
>  > 1024 is an awfully low number unless you run a personal SER or maybe an
>  > enterprise SER. As an operator I expect to have way more than 1024
>  > customers registered at any one time.
>  >
>  > And if this optimization only will help me in a relatively small
>  > proportion, then it is not worth it.
>
> i agree that 1024 is not enough for public service.  to me tcp is most
> useful for soft switches and pstn gws.
>
> ser has argument
>
>        -N tcp processes-no
>                    Specifies  the  number  of  children processes
>                    forked to handle tcp incoming connections  (by
>                    default is equal to -n ).
>
> can one process have more that one tcp connection open?

Yes, the connections will be equally distributed between the tcp children
processes. If they are idle for more than 5s, they will be returned to
 the "master" tcp process; if they become active again a child is again
 selected. Each child can handle any number of tcp connections
 simultaneously.
However the total number of tcp connections is limited by FD_SETSIZE.
(1024 linux 32 bit, on other systems it is possible to re-define
FD_SETSIZE, the defaults are: freebsd 1024, netbsd 256, solaris
8/sparc64 65535).

Andrei