[Serusers] alias option in ser.cfg and SVR in DNS

Ajeet ajeetnk at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 14 01:25:38 CEST 2003

Hi,

I added
alias=sip.ur_net.lab
in my ser.cfg file and now i can register register with a name like
username at sip.ur_net.lab, but previously i was only able to register with
the IP address like username at 10.3.10.5

Now i have few questions,
1.
before adding alias in ser.cfg file. i already had RR in my DNS for my
sip server like
sip.ur_net.lab. ........ 10.3.0.1
and when i was starting sip server then i can see in the log messeges
that it says that listens on this 10.3.0.1 ipaddress and then alias
sip.ur_net.lab is mentioned
and i also can resolv sip.ur_net.lab to 10.3.0.1 through dig command.
So why it didn't worked before?

2. I read about SVR records, but i dont have those in my DNS and still my
sip server is working correctly and now i also can register like
username at sip.ur_net.lab.... so in what situation this SVR records comes
into action?

thanks.

-ajeet