[Serusers] monitoring SER

Klaus Darilion darilion at ict.tuwien.ac.at
Fri Nov 28 10:49:36 CET 2003

Hi!

Some time ago, I've tried to use "mon" (
http://www.kernel.org/software/mon/ ) and the TCP monitor to send a
INVITE message (to a non existing user) to the proxy and waiting for a
404 reply. mon was installed at the same server as ser, and if there was
no 404 coming back, I restarted ser.

Furthermore, I installed ser at two PCs which monitored themselfs using
heartbeat ( http://www.ultramonkey.org/2.0.1/ ). ser was only runnning
at one PC and if heartbeat detected a failure of the main PC it started
ser at the bakup PC and overtook the IP address of the failed server.

My results were:
1. ser never failed -> mon never had to restart ser
2. heartbeat failed very often -> both servers were running ser und
using the same IP address

regards,
Klaus