[Serusers] monitoring SER

Nils Ohlmeier nils at iptel.org
Fri Nov 28 01:21:24 CET 2003

Hi,

IMHO sending OPTIONS request is the best way to test if a server is still
responding to requests. Server are not required to answer such requests, but
as it described in the RFC, i would say it is at least recommended. 0.8.12
contains a module which can answer this requests, and sipsak can send such
requests.

If you want to test the user location and authentication too, sipsak can do
this as well. sipsak supports digest authentication and in the usrloc mode it
registers itself and sends either a test MESSAGE or an INVITE to the account
registered just before.
I guess it should be easy to integrate an external executable like sipsak into
a Nagios plugin. But you are free to write plain SIP into a Nagios module ;)

If you want to test NAT traversal too, that is currently not posibble with
sipsak because it is not symmetric yet.

If you have any further questions or really need symmetric support in sipsak
quickly feel free to ask me directly.

Greets
  Nils