[Serusers] Re: error compiling ser 0.8.11 on Solaris 2.8 using gcc 3.3

Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul pelinescu-onciul at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Wed Nov 19 20:22:49 CET 2003

On Nov 19, 2003 at 11:59, Ziying Sherwin <sherwin at lhc.nlm.nih.gov> wrote:

> We are trying to compile ser 0.8.11 on Solaris 2.8 using gcc 3.3. Since
> we don't have librt.so on our system, we change the Makefile.defs to use
> libpthread instead, we also added "<sched.h>" to be inclueded in the
> main.c file. However, during the compilation, we still got the error message:

[...]
> sched_yield                         main.o
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to ser
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [ser] Error 1
>
> Do we really need librt.so? Which GNU package does that come from?

If you want sched_yield yes (better than sleep(0)). It doesn't come from
 any GNU package, it comes from SUNWcsl  (man librt => librt, libposix4
 - POSIX.1b Realtime Extensions library ...).

To compile without librt and without sched_yield  remove
-DHAVE_SCHED_YIELD from Makefile.defs:
 ifeq  ($(OS), solaris) ...

> Are there anyone who successfully install ser 0.8.11 on Solaris?

Yes, on several machines.

Andrei