[Serusers] Adding an user via ODBC

Alexander Mayrhofer axelm at nic.at
Mon Nov 10 17:05:08 CET 2003

On (10.11.03 16:42), Alessio Focardi wrote:
> E.164 ?

sorry for my ignorance, E.164 is the ITU-T recommendation for the format
of phone numbers. So, an E.164 number is simply a phone number.

> Will I need money to obtain a E.164 compliant prefix for my server ?

If you're talking about ENUM entries:

You would need to have phone numbers for your users plus a ENUM DNS
infrastructure in your country. If you have already a phone number, you
could give your users extensions behind that number.

Unfortunately, there is no ENUM trial going on in Italy yet, so you
won't be able to publish ENUM records for your users in the public DNS
in that case, so other users would not be able to find your users via
ENUM.

But, you could still use ENUM for finding other ENUM users, a currently
small, but rapidly growing community. You won't need to keep a "prefix
to domain" list for all the other VoIP providers, and your users won't
have to remember "which prefix to dial for which provider?"

to see a rough sketch how it works, take a look at our presentation at

http://enum.nic.at/documents/AETP/Presentations/Austria/0017-2003-07_ENUM-Demo_ietf57.ppt

I'm happy to supply you with more detail in private mail, i consider
that being already quite off topic on the SER users list. Feel free to
contact me.

cheers

axelm