[Serusers] Memory leak?

Jamin W. Collins jcollins at asgardsrealm.net
Tue May 27 19:16:25 CEST 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 06:58:00PM +0200, Andrei Pelinescu-Onciul wrote:

> Could you stop the proxy and send us the memory status log dumped at the
> end, or (if you don't want to stop it) kill -SIGUSR1 and again send the
> mem. log.

I'm not sure which log you are referring to.  The server itself has been
rebooted by the customer to return functionality.  I found the errors
after the fact.

> What happens is ser runs out of local memory. ser uses shared memory
> (you can specify the shared mem. size with -m) and "local" memory (per
> process). The local memory can be alloc'ed/dealloc'ed much faster (it
> does not require any locking). Usually ser runs out of shared mem., since
> "local" mem. is used in general only for temporary storage.
> ser will use maximum 1 Mb of "local" memory. So far we didn't need more.
> As a quick fix you can try to increase the size. You will have to change
> the value of PKG_MEM_POOL_SIZE in config.h and recompile.

Is the local memory allocated per listening process (as reported by
'ps') or per child process (as configured in ser.cfg) or based on
something else?  Just trying to get a grasp on how much the change will
effect the memory usage in my environment.

Also how much shared memory does SER allocate by default?  Would
increasing this number possibly help?

The server had been running for upwards of a month prior to this
problem.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar