[Serusers] multiple registration on one user login

Ng, Soo Sim SooSim.Ng at hp.com
Wed Mar 12 00:22:28 CET 2003

Hi,

I am thinking of locking the user hardphone MAC Address onto Layer 2 Switch level. This way even if the user move around their phone, it will be blocked.
The disadvantage is that it will create opreration nightmare and will only work in ETTx environment. In a broadband wireless environment, there may be no layer 2 switch in between the network and subsriber.

There are 2 categories of subscribers. One is only want to use their home phone just like what the legacy voice network do. They won't bother to know about username/password. (For example illiterate elderly citizen).  I must cater for these kind of users. Yet provide a secure environment for them.

Another is subscribers who want to have more flexibility. They may have hardphone, softphone, pda, notebook who can logon everywhere in the on-net network.
These users may have more than one phone number to their home per user account. These users will have to be reseponsile for their username/password.

I am looking for all possibbilities and limitations there is before drawing any implementation plan.

So far, my testing is working well. SER, Cisco 7960, ATA186, Cisco Voice Gateway, Softphone/IPAQ w/WLAN, MSN Messenger, etc

Thanks

SSng