[Serusers] multiple registration on one user login

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Wed Mar 5 23:48:55 CET 2003

Hello,

I fear that such a case can't be avoided with allowing only
a single registration. If I steal your phone away from your
desk, you will not register with it anymore, but I will and
we will have exactly one valid registration. Leaving SIP
phones  with hard-wired passwords on your desk has simply the
same potential as leaving your credit-card or cell-phone there.

What can be done about fraud?

User education -- don't leave your money and phone unattended.
Hotline -- report stolen phones to lock the account.
PIN Lock -- use phones which can log-off and log-on (I'm not aware
  of any now -- only 3com used to do that)

-Jiri

ps -- ability to move is a feature. I know people who are very glad
to use Vonage's US phone number and move with their ATAs and the
US phone number around in Europe.