[Serusers] Questions about IP Phone cisco7960??

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Mon Jul 28 12:05:27 CEST 2003

There can be any number of reasons for the problems you are having.

1.  Are you using DHCP or manually assigning the settings to the phone?
	In either case have you set the proxy_server address?
2.  Is the phone already running a SIP firmware?

The TFTP server can be the same box, or a different one.  The only
benefit to a separate system is to reduce non-SIP related traffic from
your proxy.  I'm cheap and lazy, so I have the DHCP and TFTP services
running on the same box as SER.

As to where to find the Cisco files, that is a tricky bit.  The first file
is only one line of text, no big deal to create from scratch.  The .cnf
files are also something that would not be a problem to get someone to
share with you.  The firmware image is another issue, if your phone is
not already running a SIP image.  To get a copy from Cisco, you need a
Smartnet contract.  You won't find a lot of people willing to share the
file, as Cisco could get unpleasent is you redistribute their firmware.

Some one posted here a short while back that adding Smartnet to a single
phone is about US $70 a year.