low-density PSTN gateway (was Re: [Serusers] Firewall and NAT

Greg Fausak greg at august.net
Thu Jul 24 17:04:33 CEST 2003

FXO is Foreign Exchange Office, or the telephone company.
FXS is Foreign Exchange (Something?), the actual telephone device.
If you want to plug in a phone, you must use FXS.
If you want to create a PSTN gateway, you must use FXO.

We have experimented with several FXO cisco devices.
None are too expensive.  The Cisco 17xx series is a good
device that accepts VWICS that can be FXO or FXS.
The Cisco 26xx or 36xx with a NM-HDV (?) card accepts
VWICS.  I've used the POTS based VWICS and the ISDN based
ones.  ISDN is better.

---greg