[Serusers] NAT Traversal Technique Survey

Nils Ohlmeier nils at ohlmeier.de
Sat Jan 25 16:20:41 CET 2003

Hi Juha,

On Saturday 25 January 2003 09:57, jh at lohi.eng.song.fi wrote:
>  > technique:    STUN
>  > requirements: STUN-enabled phone (like k-phone, snom)
>  > limitations:  doesn't work over symmetric NATs (words-of-mouth
>  > propaganda has been telling me that many residential NATs are
>  > fortunately not symmetric, but I don't know how objective this
>  > information really is)
>
> we have tried kphone's stun in all mojor dsl providers in finland that
> nat their customers and haven't had problems with any.  in some cases
> you have to run stund in your outbound proxy and not in some other ip
> address.

but you never tested it with a Linux 2.4 NAT box, or? ;)
I had the problem that kphone 2.11 sends out the request from a different port
then its listening. So the request goes out with a random port and comes back
on 5060, which is blocked by the linux NAT because the source IP of the SIP
server and the STUN server differ (see below).
Attached find a patch which fixes this for UDP. I didn't tryed to fix TCP
because i can't test it.

BTW do you use an old STUN version in kphone and as your server?
Because i wasn't able to get a response from our iptel.org STUN server. Only
your wirlab STUN server responses to the kphone requests.

Greetings
  Nils Ohlmeier
--
gpg-key: http://www.ohlmeier.org/public_key.asc