[Serusers] Question on gateway routing through UA proxy

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Mon Jan 20 14:34:18 CET 2003

At 08:41 PM 1/19/2003, John Todd wrote:
[...]
>Problem: My "iconnecthere.com" account is a username/password protected account which (of course) requires a UA at my side of the connection.  To forward calls from the various phones in the house, I would need to have something re-write my username/password requests on the fly when they are sent out to the iconnecthere.com SIP proxies/gateways.  My first assumption is that I'll need a (sigh) B2BUA to act as a gateway, running (for convenience) on the same UNIX platform as ser.   After thinking about it for a while, I am uncertain if that is required, but at this point I can't determine what I need to do.

If you wish to authenticate with iconnect, configure iconnect credentials
in you end-device, that's it. There are devices too (like Cisco 7960 or
snom) that can handle multiple SIP accounts too, if you need that. That's
imho simpler than inserting a middle-man authenticating on your behalf.

>I would appreciate hints on:
>
>  a) Wether I need a B2BUA at all, and if not, what config options should I be looking at in ser?

see above -- maybe I missed some aspect of your scenario, but I do not
currently see why you should need B2BUA. ser is not a B2BUA and cannot
be configured to act so. That would take writing new code.

>  Additionally, inbound calling through a similar service would have to also come in via the same mechanism, with a REGISTER request being sent by the B2BUA and all subsequent calls being routed through the SER proxy.

as said, phones can register with and receive calls from servers
without b2bua functionality.

>PS: I'd appreciate any open-source hints on how to get an ATA-186 (v2.15) running behind NAT with ser on the "outside" of the NAT, without statically configuring the "NAT" address on the ATA-186 every time the outside address changes.  Lots of keyword matches found on Google, but very few clues to be scraped from the resulting documents as to "how" do it from the server side.

http://www.iptel.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=28&forum=1&0
particularly, the second link mentions how one can set up
advertising the public address in ATA's signaling. I hope
we will add some more details in there.

-Jiri