[Serusers] Rewriting URI in the Contact field

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 14 14:00:28 CET 2003

I can't quite agree that you need two servers for the job and this is
proven to be true by my test setup. Following is how it works:

1. Network setup is as follows:

      private     public
 UA1          NAT         SER     UA2
[   ]---------{ }--------<   >---[   ]

2. SER configured as follows:

route {
        if (search("User-Agent: Cisco ATA.*")) {
                add_rport();
                fix_nated_contact();
        };
        rewriteFromRoute();

        [REGISTRATION STUFF STRIPPED]

        if (method=="INVITE") {
                addRecordRoute();
        };

	t_on_positive("1")
        # forward to current uri now
        if (!t_relay()) {
                sl_reply_error();
        };
}

reply_route[1] {
	if (search("Server: Cisco ATA.*") {
                fix_nated_contact();
	}
}

3. Registration

When registration request from UA1 arrives, we add received and rport
into the first Via field, which allows us to properly route reply
later on and also we rewrite Contact field with real IP:PORT,
therefore registration information is correct and we can contact UA1
if necessary. By selecting a small registration expiration interval on
UA1 it is possible to keep the nat binding alive.

4. Call from UA1 to UA2

- UA1 send INVITE request to SER. This request is passed through
add_rport() and fix_nated_contact()
- SER replies with 100 Trying to UA1 to the correct address/port due
to received/rport added on the previous step
- SER forwards INVITE request to UA1 with RecordRoute and
rport/received added and Contact fixed
- UA2 replies with 100 Trying. The response contains the second Via
field with correct received/rport, but it doesn't matter since reply
ignored anyway
- UA2 replies with 180 Ringing. The response contains the second Via
field with correct received/rport allowing to forward it properly
- SER forwards 180 Ringing to UA1
- When the user picks up the phone, UA2 replies with 200 OK, again it
contains proper received/rport in the second Via field
- SER forwards 200 OK to UA1
- UA1 replies to SER with ACK, upon receiving it SER inserts
received/rport into the first Via field
- SER forwards ACK to UA2
[call in progress]
- When the user at UA2 hangs us, UA2 seds a BYE to SER with Route
filled with real IP:PORT of the UA1 from the Contact field it received
in the original INVITE
- SER forwards BYE to UA1 using IP:PORT from Route field
- UA1 replies with 200 OK to SER
- SER forwards 200 OK reply to UA2

5. Call from UA2 to UA1

- UA2 send INVITE request to SER
- SER replies with 100 Trying to UA2
- SER looks up into registration database and forwards INVITE to UA1
with RecordRoute added
- UA1 replies with 100 Trying. Received/rport added into the first Via
field, but it doesn't matter since reply ignored anyway
- UA1 replies with 180 Ringing. Received/rport added into the first
Via field, but it doesn't really matter
- SER forwards 180 Ringing to UA1
- When the user picks up the phone, UA1 replies with 200 OK. Contact
field is fixed in reply_route[1]
- SER forwards 200 OK to UA2
- UA2 replies to SER with ACK, Route field is is filled with IP:PORT
from the Contact field in 200 OK
- SER forwards ACK to UA1 using IP:PORT from Route field
[call in progress]
- When the user at UA2 hangs us, UA2 sends a BYE to SER with Route
filled with real IP:PORT of the UA1 from the Contact field it received
in the original 200 OK
- SER forwards BYE to UA1 using IP:PORT from Route field
- UA1 replies with 200 OK to SER
- SER forwards 200 OK reply to UA2

As you can see, as long as signalling concerned, it is possible to
reliably traverse NAT without any additional servers. Of course this
requires a reliable way to determine that a client supports symmetric
signalling. In our particular case, it is done by searching for
"Server: Cisco ATA.*" or "User-Agent: Cisco ATA.*"

-Maxim