[Serusers] ser up and running, now on to voice mail / conferencing

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Wed Jan 8 22:22:06 CET 2003

At 04:22 AM 1/8/2003, Michael Graff wrote:
>Jiri Kuthan <jiri at iptel.org> writes:
>
>> We will appreciate your feedback -- that's one of the quickest
>> ways for us to learn about things deserving improvement.
>
>I'll have it.  :)  It mostly includes what I see as lack of useful
>authorization vs. authentication support.  The short story:
>
>I want to be able to say "user graff has passwor foo, and can receive calls
>on and dial out using identities sip:7004 at isc.org, sip:graff at isc.org, and
>sip:michael_graff at isc.org"

Someone else already requested this feature too, so it will show up in
ser in course of the time. Maybe authors of the modules in question will
give you a better status update. Right now, there is only the possibility
to enforce digest_id==user_name_in_from.

>> >What open source products are people using for voice mail,
>>
>> I'm not aware of one I could recommend, a reason why we started
>> developing our own. I hope a beta version will be out by end of
>> February (may be to optimistic forecast, though). But it may be
>> just my ignorance -- the asterisk project may perhaps work.
>
>Want assistance?  We're an open source shop here, and I might be able to
>spend some time on things if there's something already happening.

That's very nice. Let me tell you where we are and what we plan to do:
- we plan to keep maintaining ser "as is", add some small features like
  those you request and work on keeping it small and sane
- we have already started designing external applications that utilize
  ser but stay away from it; voicemail is work in progress, and
  a pre-alpha testing version will be out in February; any testing,
  intergration, feedback, etc. will be appreciated then; see a rough
  draft on its design
  http://cvs.berlios.de/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/ser/sip_router/doc/tmemo/tmemo-jiri-vmail.txt?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain
- when that is up and running, we will expand it to a programmable
  media server; a very first draft on that can be found at
  http://cvs.berlios.de/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/ser/sip_router/doc/tmemo/tmemo-jiri-media.txt?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain

If you have any comments on the drafts, or have some particular idea
what you would like to contribute, let me know. I'm not aware of some
good self-contained assignments right now -- the first stage of voicemail
is completing and we are still discussing design of the generalized media
server.

>I tried contacting the people who have an "exclusive license from Columbia"
>for the code base, but they don't answer.  They also don't list a SIP
>phone number on their pages.

Perhaps Henning Schulzrinne will not mind if you contact him directly.

-Jiri