[Serusers] ser up and running, now on to voice mail / conferencing

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Wed Jan 8 04:09:50 CET 2003

At 03:39 AM 1/8/2003, Michael Graff wrote:
>I got SER up and running with a whopping total of three "domains"
>being served on the same server.  It was mostly painless, if missing some
>features I'd like to have seen (more on that in later messages.)

We will appreciate your feedback -- that's one of the quickest
ways for us to learn about things deserving improvement.

>What open source products are people using for voice mail,

I'm not aware of one I could recommend, a reason why we started
developing our own. I hope a beta version will be out by end of
February (may be to optimistic forecast, though). But it may be
just my ignorance -- the asterisk project may perhaps work.

> voice menu
>prompts (press 1 for sales, press 2 for the executative restroom) \

no idea -- perhaps asterisk too?

>and
>for conference calls (which include PSTN calls as well as IP phones)?

Columbia university used to develop a conferencing system, but I'm
not sure what its status is. I personally use mitel hardphones for
3-party conferencing -- the phone has the mixing capability built
in it.

The PSTN interworking is orthogonal to whether you run conference
or normal calls -- in either case, you need a PSTN gateway. We
are using commercial hardware devices. I'm ignorant about
available open-source solutions except Vocal's residential
gateway.  (I never got the RG running but that was my PBX's
fault -- it used some undocumented tone characteristics which
the RG was not able to detect.)

-Jiri