[Serusers] Redundant forwarding

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Mon Feb 24 11:37:29 CET 2003

At 03:47 AM 2/24/2003, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
>I'm just passing on what I'm seeing.  If I forward the request with
>forward("192.168.1.16"), the server shows the connection as the IP
>address of the originating phone.  However, if I use
>t_relay_to("192.168.1.16", "5060"), the server shows the connection as
>coming from the SER server and the connection never truly completes.

I don't understand what it means "server shows the connection coming
from XY". What server do you exactly mean? What does it mean it
shows connection? (Does it display SDP IP address, or source IP
address of a SIP request, or Contacts or something completely else?)

>Just passing on what I'm seeing.  If there's more information that I can
>provide I'd be happy to.

Message dumps would be probably clarifying in this case. Use for example
"ngrep port 5060" to capture SIP traffic.

>Right now, the phones are configured on the two destination servers.
>So, these servers can send calls directly to the phones.  However, for
>things to work properly (outbound calls and such), the server needs to
>see the incoming request as originating from the phone's IP address,

I don't understand this either -- I mean if you for some reason (like
like of digest authentication) wish to verify IP addresses in SER, then
you do so, if you don't wish, you don't. What is the problem?

>which is why the stateful forwarding is currently a problem.

And how does it relate to whether you forward in stateless or stateful mode?

-Jiri