[Serusers] SIP Express Router

Nils Ohlmeier nils at iptel.org
Mon Dec 15 17:58:45 CET 2003

Hello,

On Monday 15 December 2003 17:50, NTX Technology wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are trying to install and test your Sip Express Router.
>
> Environment:   Redhat Linux 8.0 with mysql server running.
>
> I downloaded the rpm packages
>
> 1. ser-0.8.12-0.i386.rpm,
> 2. ser-0.8.12-0.src.rpm,
> 3. ser-jabber-0.8.12-0.i386.rpm,
> 4. ser-mysql-0.8.12-0.i386.rpm,
> 5. ser-radius-0.8.12-0.i386.rpm.
>
> from the ftp site. I, then, installed 1'st, 3'rd and 4'th packages. when i
> try to restart theserver, from the terminal window again, 'stopping ser :
> [FAILED], Starting ser: [OK]' message appears. but wheni  run the terminal
> window, and check teh status of the ser server, it gives the following
> message. 'ser dead but subsys locked'.

This is know issue, which AFAIK we were not able to track it down until now.

> when i try to run the configuration file, /etc/ser/ser.cfg, it says
> permission denied..

It is a configuration file. You can not execute config file. (In general file
from /etc are normaly not exectuable.)

> Also, when i try to run ser_mysql.sh, using  /usr/sbin/ser_mysql.sh,
> everything works fine. But when i run /usr/sbin/ser_mysql.sh create, to
> create a database, it asks for 'MySql password for root:'. Is it the root
> passsword for the system or the DEFAULT_PW or RO_PW (given in

It is the password for the root user of your mysql installation. For the
commen distributions it is often empty after a defautl installation (just
press return; but dont forget to change this password: it is a security
risk!)

> ser_mysql.sh). after its asks for the domain or realm, the following error
> message appears. '/usr/sbin/ser_mysql.sh: line 1: gen_ha1: command not
> found
> HA1 calculation failed'

This means the script was not able to find executable gen_ha1, which is
included in the ser-mysql rpm. Please first check if the
executable /usr/sbin/gen_ha1 exists. If yes you probably miss /usr/sbin in
the $PATH of your user. Either add /usr/sbin to your PATH variable or edit
the ser_masql.sh script and give the full path to the gen_ha1 executable.

Grets
  Nils