[Serusers] How to Register..?

Nils Ohlmeier nils at iptel.org
Thu Dec 11 12:31:17 CET 2003

Hi,

On Thursday 11 December 2003 09:02, Santosh Subramanian, Noida wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a client program , which will send REGISTER request to the proxy
> server and
> get back the response either "200 ok" or "401 unauthorized".
> I'm running SER proxy server in my local network and it is giving me "401
> unauthorized".
> no problem in that.
>
> Now I'm trying to contact iptel.org with that program. Its since I'm
> running my program
> behind the firewall, the address and port (195.37.77.101:5060) is opened
> for me both ways.
> So my request should have reached iptel.org. Problem is, no response from
> iptel.org.
>
> can anyone working behind firewall send me the message format for REGISTER
> request.
> I've attached mine along with this mail.. kindly let me know if anything is
> wrong.
> I'm not able to proceed from this point.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Santhosh.S
>
> My Register Request:
> =====================
> REGISTER sip:san.iptel.org:5060 SIP/2.0
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is wrong! And probably the cause why you do not get a response. Because
this request URI says that your request should be forwarded to the
non-existing host san.iptel.org. You probably meant san at iptel.org. But that
is also not correct. In Registers only the destination host has to be in the
ruri.

> Via: SIP/2.0/UDP 192.168.14.56:5060;branch=z9hG4bK2952839661;rport
> From: san <sip:san at iptel.org>;tag=946143070
> To: san <sip:san at iptel.org>
> Call-ID: 320799555 at 195.37.77.101
This is IMHO also not correct. You should use a global unique identifier for
your calls. But if you include the IP of the destination system this can
clash with requests from this host. I understands the RFC in that way, that
you should/can use the IP of your local host to at least garantie that the
Call-ID can only be from your host.

Regards
  Nils