[Serusers] Scalability Question

Darren Sessions dsessions at ionosphere.net
Wed Dec 10 12:56:42 CET 2003

Here is a little more insight into what I envision to be the core network.
Hopefully this will help in the scalability question I'm desperate to get a
better understanding of.

I'm just not sure if I've under-engineered this, or over-engineered it - and
what I can get rid of to save money or what more I need to spend.

Thanks again for all the help!

 - Darren

---

Architecture = Intel i386

Bandwidth = DS3 to OC12

Population Size = Initially, a 100k user base at 10-1 ratio (10,000
simultaneous calls) and a 100-1 ratio for voicemail (1,000 simultaneous
calls).

Scenario Implemented:

2x centralized database servers (For SER/SEMS) Running Redhat Advanced
Server 2.1 - Quad 2.5Ghz 1MB Cache Xeon CPUs - 8GB Ram - 60GB Raid Storage
on host - Multi-Threaded MySQL - Multiple Gigabit Network Interfaces

2x centralized storage servers (For VM, Web Content, etc) Running Redhat
Advanced Server 2.1 - 2GB Ram - 140GB Storage on Host - 2.04TB Raid Storage
- Multiple Gigabit Network Interfaces

4x SER servers Running RedHat AS 2.1 or RedHat 9 - Dual 3Ghz Xeon CPUs per
server - 2GB RAM - NFS to Storage Server via Deticated Gigabit Network -
Seperate Network card for Internet Connectivity - 18GB Raid Storage on Host

4x SEMS servers Running RedHat AS 2.1 or RedHat 9 - Dual 3Ghz Xeon CPUs per
server - 2GB RAM - NFS to Storage Server via Deticated Gigabit Network -
Seperate Network card for Internet Connectivity - 18GB Raid Storage on Host

6x WEB Servers
3x DNS Servers