[Serusers] symmetric nat/ broadband routers

Martin Anderberg martin at namnupplysaren.net
Thu Dec 4 23:12:04 CET 2003

Hi again!

I've checked all the answers and it looks as if you guys have different
solutions to the problem. I would be prompted to conclude that;

- 'Broadbandrouters' aren't necessarily symmetric
- Not all firewalls - both included in 'broadbandrouters' and ordinary
linux-based are i) state-aware ii) working with sers natping
- there is no generic solution atm

However, even a firewall/broadbandrouter where we do not trust the
state-awareness should work properly as long as outgoing traffic is
allowed and incoming traffic is allowed on port 5060 (or whatever the
contact-header says) as long as the nathelper does *not* rewrite the
contact with the ip-source port. Or am i still missing something?

/Martin