[Serusers] symmetric nat/ broadband routers

Ricardo Villa ricvil at epm.net.co
Thu Dec 4 21:22:30 CET 2003

On our lab we have a RH7.3 box with iptables firewall and NAT.  When we were
initially testing the nathelper module we found out that external pings did
NOT keep the sessions alive on this box.  Only pings going from inside
towards the internet.  At that point we decided to simply rely on the
ability of devices like the ATA186 and GS phones to send a SIP Dummy packet
from behind the NAT in order to keep the sessions alive.  So far this
approach has worked 100%.  It is possible that the Linux box just needed
some tweaking, but we needed a solution that worked seamlessly with all
customers.

I belive we also tested another common broadband home router and it behaved
the same way.

Regards,
Andres