[Serusers] REGISTER from SER

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Dec 4 19:42:16 CET 2003

Superuser wrote:

> Jan,
>
> Thank you for the response.
>
> The longer I use the SER proxy server, the more uses I
> find for it.
>
> What I am currently envisioning is this:
>
> I run a PBX PROXY server for a specific business
> customer.  This customer has a private naming (numbering)
> plan. The names of the UA devices are 101, 102, 103, etc..
> These are 'extension numbers'.
>
> I would like to be able to make the PBX 'pretend' it is
> the phone.  It will send a REGISTER to the GATEWAY, and then subsequent
> INVITES for that number will be sent to the PBX.  The PBX will
> determine how to deliver the call using local rules on the
> SER proxy.  The rules will be something like:
>
> business days between 9am and 5pm forward all incoming calls to x100.
>
> If extension 100 is busy (or doesn't answer), roll to extension 101.
>
> If extension 101 is busy (or doesn't answer), roll to voice mail.
>
> And a million other things.
>
> I realize that I can forward the call from the GATEWAY
> to the PBX, but, I think it would be MUCH cleaner if
> I could tell the SER PBX engine to REGISTER a number....
With the risk of being bashed on this list, I would propose that you use Asterisk
as a PBX. It can register to SER, it's not a full-featured SIP proxy as SER, but
have the functions you need on the PBX level. Voicemail, conferencing, call groups
and a lot more. SER and Asterisk is a good combination in the scenario you describe.

/Olle