[Serusers] Windows Messenger 5.0

dhiraj.2.bhuyan at bt.com dhiraj.2.bhuyan at bt.com
Thu Dec 4 10:38:24 CET 2003

I tried using MSN 5.0 earlier. And I faced exactly the same problem. After sniffing the network traffic I came to know that -

When UserA sends a SUBSCRIBE message to UserB, if UserB has UserA in its list, it sends back a OK message. However it is not smart enough to update the status of UserA (to online) on its own list. It just waits for its turn to send the SUBSCRIBE message to UserA and then only if it gets an OK response back from UserA will it update the status of UserA on its list. So if you let UserA and UserB to be both online for a certain duration of time ( == time between two SUBSCRIBE attempts atleast), you will see the correct status. Another stupid MS implememtation.

Dhiraj