[Serusers] What's the best solutions ? RTP Proxy or STUN Server ?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Dec 2 22:48:31 CET 2003

Jiri Kuthan wrote:

> at best both, STUN does not help with all kinds of NATs. Use STUN
> if you can, RTP proxy otherwise. -jiri

You can't choose between the fruit basket and an apple...

STUN checks the NAT situation from a client point of view. STUN does not
do magic to let your calls through, it gives the UA an idea on how the
world looks and then the UA makes the choice on how to get traffic going
or give up and eat up all the fruits in the basket.

If you have problems with your NAT, the RTP proxy might be part of the solution to
get calls going in combination with SER module Nathelper. The whole idea is
to take care of the media stream when the two SIP clients can't handle the
media stream across the NAT's. Yes, it shouldn't be necessary.

Other solutions involve symmetric RTP, see
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-RTP+Symmetric

More info on STUN:
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Stun

Vovida.org have an Open Source STUN server.
Pointer here:
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Open%20Source%20Voip%20software

Disclaimer: This is a messy area. I could be all wrong... :-)

/Olle