[Serusers] serweb & usrloc

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Fri Apr 25 09:56:37 CEST 2003

At 07:30 AM 4/25/2003, kelch wrote:
>hi!
>
>is serweb intended to just send IM one-way? i configured everything and
>noticed that i can only send messages from a web-client (via serweb) to
>a sip softphone, but not the other way around.

Indeed, serweb only supports one-way IM.

>i noticed that this is due to the fact that when a user logs on to
>serweb, it does not put anything in the location table in ser db. so if
>a message was sent intended for that user, the sender receives 404 not
>found (due to failure in lookup()).
>
>what i am thinking as a workaround is to manipulate the php files in
>serweb to insert the user into the 'location' table via fifo, the method
>though crude might just work...
>
>my problem is, before i could try to do the workaround is whether serweb
>would accept the message if it indeed received one on port 5060? would
>it? or should the proxy send the message through another port like 80?

imho, the first problem to be solved for 2-way is how to communicate data
between browser and server. A major requirement is the ability to get
over NATs. I think maintaining a persistent TCP connection from a Java
applet to SER would be a good choice. Such an applet would first have to
register itself over a TCP connection, keep it open, send and receive IMs
over it.

If you would like to do that or have some other design idea, let's move this
discussion to serdev at lists.iptel.org -- we will be glad to work it out with you.

-Jiri