[Serusers] Improper Debian Build Depends

Nils Ohlmeier nils at iptel.org
Wed Apr 16 02:25:29 CEST 2003

On Wednesday 16 April 2003 00:37, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 10:47:44PM +0200, Nils Ohlmeier wrote:
> > Sorry i do not see any build dependecy on zlib. The mysql module needs
> > the zlib lib. But that dependecy is fullfiled through
> > libmysqlclient-dev, which depends on libmysqlclient, which depends on
> > zlib1g.
>
> libmysqlclient-dev is not an available package in Debian stable:
>
> # apt-get install libmysqlclient-dev
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Package libmysqlclient-dev is a virtual package provided by:
>   libmysqlclient10-dev 3.23.49-8.2
>
> The dependancy for zlib1g will be fulfilled by the installation of
> libmysqlclient10-dev since it will then depend on libmysqlclient10 which
> in turn will depend on zlib1g.  Note, this is only the runtime library,
> not the development headers and such.  This will *not* allow one to
> build the Debian package of the ser source.  To build the Debian package
> of the ser, you must have the development libraries of the used runtime
> libraries.  This is the purpose of the Build-Depends entry.  To list
> which packages are necessary for compilation, and zlib1g-dev *is* needed
> for compilation.

Ok the error was in the Makefile of the mysql module. Their was the zlib
requested for linking. But this is not necessary, because no function of the
zlib is used (which i was looking for before my last mail).
I fixed it in our CVS. But because of the upcoming new release we will
probably not fixs this in the old release :)

Thanks for reporting!

> > BTW Serdev is a better place for such notes or discussion.
>
> The web site (http://www.iptel.org/ser/bugs/) says to post it here, so I
> did.

Got me. I did not know our own website well enough :-)

Greetings
  Nils