[Serusers] ENUM support

Jörg Bauer/Denic bauer at denic.de
Tue Apr 15 09:49:15 CEST 2003

The idea of using ENUM at the server-side has a lot of problems

Example:
you get this from DNS

1)      NAPTR 10 10 "u" "sip+E2U" "!^.*$!sip:blabla at example.com!" .
2)      NAPTR 10 20 "u" "sip+E2U" "!^.*$!sip:blabla2 at otherexample.com!" .
3)      NAPTR 10 10 "u" "tel+E2U" "!^.*$!iax:0900 at expensivenumber.sex!" .

What to do ??

First try 1) or 3) ???
What happens if this failes ?? (not reachable, busy ??)
Is the user willing to pay the costs for 3) ??
Maybe the user wants to dial the REAL number (remember ENUM is a
additional information for the real world phone number). How will you find
this out ???

My conclusion is that ENUM is ALLWAYS a funktionality of the client and
NEVER of the server because of the need for the user to decide what he
realy wants to do. Any automatic resolution will fail.

Maybe there is a need for a kind of communication between Server and
Client (inside SIP ??) to solve these kind of problems.
Any ideas how so solve this problem ???