[OpenSER-Docs] migrating sgml to xml

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 18:33:44 CET 2008

Hello Henning,

On 03/04/08 15:42, Henning Westerholt wrote:
> On Monday 03 March 2008, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:
>
>> [..]
>> - run this futuristic command (in modules/dispatcher/doc/):
>>  xsltproc --stringparam html.stylesheet ../../../doc/docbook.css
>> --stringparam section.autolabel 1 --stringparam
>> section.label.includes.component.label 1 -o dispatcher.html
>> /usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/nwalsh/html/docbook.xsl dispatcher.xml
>> - to get the readme txt format:
>>  lynx -force_html -dump -nolist -width=72 dispatcher.html >dispatcher.txt
>>

> Hi Daniel,
>
> strange command, indeed. ;-)

strange, but it is more flexible than generating from sgml -- the sgml
tools looked very heavy for me, with no much options (e.g., to enforce
the link to css file, I had to change the content of some files, which
sometime get overwritten by updates).

>> I downloaded http://www.openser.org/css/docbook.css in openser/doc/
>> folder, so I got the same look on my local generated html files as for
>> the ones on the openser.org. The extra option now is that each chapter
>> has its own table of content (can be removed via some option, but I
>> didn't dig in more).
>>

> I think this table of contents is generated from the <toc> tag in the
> $name.sgml file. It would make sense to switch this of, if we generate a
> document holding all module docs.

Might be as you say, I will try to see if we can control it with some
command line parameter, will be easier to deal with.

>> It was not that painful, but will require some work, when coming to all
>> modules. I propose to add the docbook.css in the openser SVN under doc
>> folder, maybe renamed as "openser-docbook.css". Also, a copy of
>> entities.sgml as entities.xml with the required fixes (the sgml version
>> will be removed once migration is complete).
>>
>> I believe makes no sense to add support for mixed doc sources -- meaning
>> here that some modules have sgml and some xml. If we can sync 3-4
>> people, and split the modules among, we can get the work done in few
>> days. In this case, we will go directly in replacing the generation of
>> html from sgml to xml. Will be useless work to add intermediary support
>> in Makefile and try to detect whether is sgml or xml.
>>

> I think also that it makes no sense to have this mixed generation, its ok to
> break the docs generation for a few days..

OK,