[sr-dev] licensing of videos and images from Kamailio World?

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 11:28:26 CET 2022

Hello,

KamailioWorld youtube channel has a mix of who did the recordings: the
editions 2020 and 2021 were online anyhow, not recorded by Pascom, then
the available videos of the first editions were recorded by someone else
as well.

Anyhow, I don't think the entity that did the recording has anything to
do with ownership/licensing if it was done as part of a commercial or
sponsorship agreement. The facility is not a public space, access inside
being grated also as part of an agreement (e.g., registration,
sponsorship, special pass, ...).

Therefore I think it gets to the organizers when it is strictly about
these recordings. The informational content of each video is owned by
presenter when applicable.

The recordings were done and published with the scope of creating a
knowledge base for the community, not for commercial profit purposes.
There were no explicit agreements to give the full rights of the
presented information for commercial use under a particular license. The
terms and conditions for participating to the event have the statement
to grant permissions to organizers for educational and promotion of the
conference purposes:

  * https://www.kamailioworld.com/k07/terms-and-conditions/

Without consulting with anyone else at this moment, for anyone in the
community I think the fair approach is to discuss with the presenter and
any other person that shows up in the material that is going to be used.
For example, if there is about a frame of the video showing a slide made
by Alice, but with Bob being clearly visible in the image, then both
Alice and Bob have to give agreement.

Looking from another perspective, as another rule, I think it should be
fine as long as the materials are used in good faith, not causing any
damages (reputation, moral, personal, material, ...).